Sunday, January 23, 2011

Psalm 56

The verdict is in! (Confession: I actually had to Google that idiom. Yikes.)

I'm going to KOREA (Ansan, to be exact) to teach English. (Engrish?)
I'm listening to Casa Verde and feeling intense nostalgia for Mexico.
A song, a photo, a smell...the slightest of things take me back to everywhere I've been.

To be completely honest? Going to Korea absolutely terrifies me. Not because I can't read or write it as well as I'd like, not because I am way too tanned for Korean standards, not because I have body piercings (more reasons for judgment by my fellow Koreans), not because I look like a baby trying to play teacher, not because I know I'll cry myself to sleep from long distance couple fights or missing my 5-yr-old nephew.

I'm terrified that this experience won't be all that it's supposed to be. Every country I've been to has absolutely blown me away. I'm afraid of being fearful and not representing my Father well. I'm not sure what to expect at all. The homogeneity of my own motherland freaks me out more than the misunderstood places that I have come to know and love. The only thing that keeps me going: knowing that growth is inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers